Old Map of Hemingbrough

 

Headline News for 1875

View an 1854 map of Hemingbrough

History of Hemingbrough Page 2


The church is built of the fine limestone (which used to be worked more largely than it is at present) of Huddlestone and Tadcaster, and which York Minster is constructed. In the west wall, however, a number of stones of grit may be observed, the relics of an earlier church. These probably came from Bramley Fall, Nr. Leeds or Plumpton Rocks in the vicinity of Knaresborough. Hemingbrough is a parish of considerable extent, the surface is flat, and but slightly elevated above high water level. The soil is chiefly warp and sand, with clay in a few places, and the subsoil sand. Wheat, oats, barley, turnips, and potatoes are chiefly grown. The village, long and straggling, is situated five miles east from Selby, five miles northwest from Howden, and two miles from Hemingbrough station (situated in Cliffe), on the Hull and Selby branch of the national railway. The village is not what it once was. Not so long ago the village supported a variety of trades in Farming, Blacksmiths, Brickworks, Litsters, Carriers, Websters (weavers), Maltsers, Farriers, Cattle dealers, Millers as can be seen in a Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for HEMINGBROUGH in Bulmer's Directory of 1892. Now people commute not only to Selby and York but also to the larger cities of Leeds and Hull for employment, some even further afar. There seems to have been quite a few schools of some description or another since the early 1600s when a Richard Pettie, BA. was licensed to teach Grammar School at Hemingbrough. In 1847 Mrs.Carr conferred a most single benefit upon Hemingbrough by erecting a school "establishing a charitable institution in her native place". The people who were to be the trustees was a Rev. John Ion, the vicar, Keighly Burton of Cliffe-cum-Lund, gentleman, John Harrison of the Grange in Hemingbrough, gentleman, and Lionel Tomlinson of Hemingbrough, gentleman. It was to be used as a day and Sunday school. Certain scholars were to be educated free of charge and the master was to be a member of the Church of England. In 1878 on the site of the present school another school was built with headmasters living quarters at a cost of two thousand pounds. There was accommodation for 110 pupils. Over the years the appearance of the school changed with the removal of a bell tower in the early nineteen twenties and eventually made way for the present school was built in the 1960's.


Page 1 2 3

A shocking accident occurred at Cliffe at the Hemingbrough station, whereby a life was lost when someone was run over by a pick-up goods train from Selby to Hull.

Bulmers Directory

Baines Directory

Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for HEMINGBROUGH in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.

Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" for HEMINGBROUGH in Baines's Directory of 1823

Census 1821

Historical Maps

Abstract of Population Census 1821 East Riding of Yorkshire, including York.

Let our researchers at Ordnance Survey's Historical Maps Archive help you roll the clock back and uncover the history of your own special area of the country.

home | history | businesses | sports clubs | tourism

Copyright©HemingbroughOn-line2008