Hemingbrough History
Page
1 2 3

Only the schoolhouse and a storage room are now remaining of the old school. The original 1847 school is known as the Institute and plays host to many groups such as the parish Council, Playgroup etc. In his book about life in "Hemingbrough 1936-1947", Geoff Burt's first recollections after to moving to the village, where his father became the landlord of The Britannia, after serving in the police force, from what he thought was a civilised area, was an earth closet which as he described lessened by the weeks. He recalls that the focus on these buildings only came back when they needed emptied. As he states the service was carried out by one of the villages characters "Bill Thackeray". Otherwise known as "Tashy" because of his large moustache, which apparently extended below his mouth, he lived at "The Hollies", a house previously occupied by an undertaker and joiner - Barker Hudson, father of Arthur (Chips) Hudson a well-known local character who apparently related with amusement the time when he and his wife had caused the collapse of their double bed with a combined weight of forty two stones. "Tashy" was also a local carrier providing by horse and flat cart, a service for the village by taking goods to and from the Selby market. The other mode of transport was the use of the river, where people would either use the ferry to Barmby Marsh or catch the steam packet upstream to Selby or down to Goole and Hull. This fell by the way with the opening of the by-pass in 1920's, however it was still used until the 1950's, as farmers would transport the sugar beet to the sugar beet factory at Selby. Electricity and piped water arrived in the village at about the same time in 1937/38, as records show in the P.C.C. minutes record that a total sum of 79.10s was spent in 1938 for installation. As transport became better, villagers had the choice of using bus or train (the latter from Hemingbrough Station which is in Cliffe) this provided the opportunity to visit the Hippodrome, The Central or the Ritz picture house in Selby all of which have now disappeared. The Tune family as far back as 1924 first served petrol in the village and with the opening of the new by-pass the petrol station is where it is now at the first entrance to the village and is called Hearthstone filling station. Opposite here was the home of Hemingbrough Tennis club and cricket was played in the field adjoining Hagg Lane and fronting the North side of the A63. The tennis club fell by the wayside over the years, however the village still has three active sporting clubs in the Bowls, Cricket and Football all of which now share and play in the same field at the side of the A63 in the village. Industry in the village apart from farming included the brickyard which was a very labour intensive and demanded hard physical work. The brickyard was sold to the Shepherd Building Group brick company Alne Brick after the war and they installed a narrow gauge railway line to bring the clay to the kilns. The brickyard finally ceased production in 1983 and today it is used for plant auctions and as rubbish tip. In the year 2000 the last of 15 working farms in the village moved to just outside the village. Most of these farms have been turned into building plots to cater for the greater number of new residents. In 1801 the population return Hemingbrough was home to 387 persons and in the census of 1991 the village has grown to a population of 1,675. The village still has a thriving business community with two public houses The Crown Inn and the Fox & Pheasant (formerly The Britannia), greengrocers, fish and chip shop, butchers, and a host of other trades, mostly none of which are connected to the history of the village.

Page 1 2 3

 

 

 

 

home | history | businesses | sports clubs | tourism

Copyright©HemingbroughOn-line2008